A native of Arkansas, Dr. Ronald Smith Jr. joined Riverview Cardiac Surgery in January of 2011. Dr. Smith graduated from the University of Arkansas College of Medicine.
He completed his General Surgery training at the University of Tennessee in Memphis. Following this he served as the Francis H. Cole Thoracic Scholar in Advanced Thoracic Surgery. He received his formal cardiothoracic surgical training in Houston at Texas Heart Institute, including several months of training at the renowned MD Anderson Cancer Center. While at Texas Heart Institute, Dr. Smith also completed a fellowship in cardiac transplantation and advanced mechanical circulatory support.
After several years of private practice in his home state of Arkansas, Dr. Smith joined Dr. Thomas D’Amico as a clinical instructor at Duke University. During his time at Duke, Dr. Smith focused heavily on advanced minimally invasive video-surgical techniques, pioneered by Dr. D’Amico for the treatment of thoracic malignancies.
• Diplomat of the American Board of Surgery
• Diplomat of the American Board of
• Thoracic Surgery
• Harwell Wilson Surgical Society
• Denton Cooley Cardiovascular Surgical Society
• The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
• American Society for Transplantation
• International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
• American College of Chest Physicians